Your Immune system is a well-designed network that helps protect you from various infections and conditions. Overall, your immune system does an exceptional job of protecting you against disease-causing microorganisms, but sometimes it collapses; even the healthiest of people get sick every now and then. By fine-tuning certain aspects of your health routine, such as diet and stress management, you can help strengthen your immune system’s defense against bacteria, toxic chemicals, and viruses that cause conditions like the common cold and flu.
Here are some tips to help improve your immune support:
- Antioxidant-rich diet, an abundance in many fruits and vegetables, antioxidants combat free radicals.
- Choosing healthy fats (such as the omega-3 fatty acids available in oily fish, flaxseed, and krill oil).
- Try adding garlic, shown to possess virus-fighting and bacteria-killing properties.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
- Working out regularly can mobilize your T cells, a type of white blood cell known to guard the body against infection.
- In a 2006 study of 115 women, participants who engaged in moderate exercise (such as brisk walking) for an average of 30 minutes daily for a year had about half the risk of colds as those who did not work out routinely.
- Stress Reduction
- Add meditation, yoga, or deep breathing in your daily routine.
- Try tai chi, a gentle Chinese martial art found to increase immune defense against shingles.
- Take time for yourself, listen to music, do something you enjoy!
- Build your support network of people you can talk to.
- Sleep & Hygiene
- Washing your hands is one of the best ways to ward off illness.
- Get a full eight hours of sleep each night, which may help regulate immune function.
- Herbs & Supplements
- The following herbs and supplements have been shown to help boost your immune system: Echinacea, NAC, Vitamin D3, Vitamins B12 & B6, Vitamin C and Zinc, Black Elderberry, Probiotics, and Astragalus Root.
Replacing bad health habits with good ones can help you keep a strong immune system. Give these a try and see if you notice a difference in your immune health! Just remember if you start to feel under the weather, let us know at the Ear, Nose and Throat Institute and we will get you back on track in no time!