It’s that time of the season again – the season of having to remember to buy gifts for your loved ones because a holiday says you should. Not saying there’s anything wrong with Valentine’s Day, but people should just love others without being told when and how. Anyway, that’s my spiel for the day. The following list is healthy habits to keep the romance going. No, these aren’t romantic activities or things that sound sexy, but they’re tips to help you remain healthy while going out on a date with the person you greatly admire. Afraid your allergies will cause you to sneeze without pause in a dim-lit restaurant? Worried that you might get a sinus infection and the snot napkins in your pocket will keep them from being attracted to you? We’re here to help you remain vigilant, even in your most vulnerable state.
What foods help clear sinuses?
The following pertains to foods that will help keep your sinuses clear, so they may tend to be on the spicier side. We’ll also go over what consumables to avoid as to not cause excessive mucus flow from your nose. That’s not romantic in any way, shape, or form…unless you’re into that which is a whole other problem in itself.
- Sriracha – great for clearing them clogged pipes.
- Citrus – get those vitamins! Also just good for your general health.
- Turmeric – reduces and prevents inflammation
- Garlic – reduces congestion so maybe take your loved one out for a nice Italian meal and request extra garlic (WARNING: Garlic can make your breath unreasonable).
- Ginger – also good for the rumbly tummy
- Water – this one can’t be stressed enough, despite it being obvious. Water helps things flow more smoothly.
What foods affect sinuses?
This is the hardest part because all the good and tasty foods are on the no-consume list. But, if your loved one is the most important thing in the world, you’ll make a few sacrifices to ensure the big date goes right.
- Milk – that means no dairy creamer, no ice cream, no nothin’. Sorry.
- Cheese – sorry…
- Red meat – again, we’re sorry.
- Pizza – since pizza has the above items combined into one sinus congestion monster, it’s best to avoid it, at least for now.
How do I clear out my sinuses?
The big date is coming and your sinuses are clogged like the highways on a rainy day in Atlanta. What do you do? Well, there are a few options you can take, whether they’re quick or more permanent solutions for later down the road.
- Irrigation – Go to your local grocery or drug store and pick up a nose irrigation pump. A major brand that’s great is the Neti Pot, but even store brands have the same function. Generally you’ll mix warm water and saline and shoot it up into your sinuses. It’s really gross but it does help remove mucus, pollen, dust, and whatever else you got up there. Don’t worry, we won’t ask.
- Allergy test/immunotherapy – More of a long-term solution, allergy testing and immunotherapy will determine which allergens affect you and the means to desensitize your body to it. No, this won’t help you if your date is tonight or even next week, but planning ahead is always a good idea.
- Balloon sinuplasty/sinus surgery – Again, this is a long-term solution, but you can come in to see us for a same-day appointment to find out what your true ailments are.
Hope these tips helped you prepare for a nice, romantic date without bringing your sniffles and coughs with you. If you need a same-day appointment, just give us a call at 770-740-1860 or fill out the form at the top of the page.